Topic outline

  • 1)


    Kirklees College offers a range of support funds which can help with some of the financial problems that may prevent you from studying. The College recognises that for some learners the cost of travel or childcare, for example, may stop you from joining or continuing on a course or programme. The Financial Support Team can give you advice on financial matters and assist you with applying for any appropriate grants or awards that are available.

    Kirklees College has a full policy document, FE Discretionary Support Funds and Childcare Support Policy, available from the Learner Support Manager and the College Portal.

    We recommend that you should always discuss your circumstances with our Learner Financial Support Team. They will do their best to help students in genuine hardship, with a household income of less than £26,000; they have some discretion on the way they apply the funds.


    • 2)

      24+ Advanced Learning Loan

      You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help with the costs of a course, if your course is not funded by the Skills Funding Agency (SFA) and you’re 19 years of age or older at the beginning of the course. The course must be a Level 3 or Level 4 course (e.g. A-Levels) to be applicable for the Advanced Learner Loan.  The Loan solely covers the cost of your tuition fees and there is no maintenance element with the Advanced Learner Loan. It is administered by Student Finance England (SFE) and not Kirklees College.

      The Advanced Learner Loan has to be paid back to the Student Loans Company (SLC). However, repayments don’t start until you begin earning £21,000 or more per year. For information on how to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan please click here.  Please note that you will need certain information (e.g. the course start and end dates, the cost etc.) from Kirklees College which is required on the application for your Advanced Leaner Loan. This information is typically send out by the Applications Team once you have a place on your course. Once you have this information in the form of a "Funding and Information" letter from Kirklees College, you can then apply for the Advance Learner Loan. 

      You may also be eligible for the  Advanced Learner Loan Bursary 2017/18 which is administered through Kirklees College. To meet the eligibility criteria for this Bursary your Advanced Learner Loan must have been approved and  your household income must be under £26,000 (or you must be in receipt of income-based benefits) for the tax year 2016/17. You can download the Bursary application form below. 

      If you have any questions you can contact the Financial Support Team. Please click here for contact details.


    • 3)

       Financial Support for 19+ Learners

      Kirklees College have Discretionary Support Funds available to financially support students with costs associated directly with completing the course of study, e.g. travel expenses.

      The criteria to apply for support is income-based and students with a household income of under £26,000 (for the tax year 2016/17) will be eligible for support (please note that this is not an entitlement). However, students who do not meet this criteria but can demonstrate that they are in genuine financial hardship are also eligible to apply for financial support. 

      Students who are now ineligible for fee remission due to changes in the funding regulations but who would have been in a remission group, i.e. KPP or equivalent, may apply to the Discretionary Learner Support Fund for assistance with their fees only in exceptional circumstances. Priority will be given to those on full-time programmes and funds are limited hence support with fees is not guaranteed.

      To apply for Financial Support you can download and print the "Financial Support Application Form 2017/18" found at the bottom of this section or by clicking here. Alternatively you can pick up the application from Kirklees College ( at Reception from the Huddersfield Centre or from Room 
      A.003 at the Dewsbury Centre).

      If your needs have not been covered by any of the Discretionary Support Funds, you may be eligible for support from other funds. For further intomration and any enquiries, please contact the Learner Financial Support Team in the first instance; click here for contact details.


    • 4)

       16-19 Bursary Fund

      The 16-18 Bursary Fund is a Government scheme to help young people facing financial hardship to stay in full-time education. There are three Bursary categories (you can only fall under one of the three):

      Category A (this is an entitlement)
      This category is for students who are either in care; a care leaver; in receipt of Income Support (or Universal Credit); a disabled learner in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence Payments) with Employment & Support Allowance (this means the student receives DLA (or PIP) and ESA together)

      Category B (this is not an entitlement)
      This category is for students whose family’s household income is below £26,000 for the tax year 2016/17.

      Category C (this is not an entitlement)
      This category is for learners whose family’s household income is above £26,000 for the tax year 2016/17 but are facing real financial difficulties which may prevent them from staying in full-time education.

      To apply for the Bursary you can download and print the "Bursary for 16-18 Application Form 2017/18" found at the bottom of this section or by clicking here. Alternatively you can pick up the form from College (at Reception from Huddersfield or Room A.003 at Dewsbury).

      Further information is available from the Learner Financial Support Team. Please click here for contact details.


    • 5)

       Higher Education

      Student Finance England (SFE) is a Student Loans Company (SLC) service, providing financial support to students on behalf of the UK Government to students from England entering Higher Education in the UK. This is a separate entity to Kirklees College and you will need to contact them directly if you are planning to get a loan/grant. Kirklees College do however provide assistance with a Student Opportunity Fund for Higher Education students (available once you have exhausted all other financial options including the loan from Student Finance England). You can find further advice and information below:


      For a quick guide to Student Finance England, including how to apply and grant information, please click here for more information.

      The following video is a quick three step guide to Student Finance England:

      For full-time learners please find the following guide (by clicking here or an interactive guide by clicking here) which will provide you with the following information:

      • What can you get?
      • Do you qualify?
      • How and when do you apply?
      • How do you get paid?
      • What about your repayments?


      Student Finance - New Full-Time Students 2017/2018
      Applying for Student Finance 2017/2018

      Quick Guide 2017/18

      Telephone: 0300 100 0607 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm and Sat 9am-4pm)
      Textphone: 0300 100 0622 (Mon-Fri 8am-4pm)
      Further contact details, please click here.

      The Financial Support Team at College are now accepting applications from HE students for the Student Opportunity Fund. Students are expected to demonstrate hardship in order to receive additional funding.

      To apply you can download and print the "Student Opportunity Fund Application Form 2016/17" found at the bottom of this section or by clicking here. If you have any questions please click here for contact details.


    • 6)


      If your household income is less than £26,000, you could qualify for Childcare support from Kirklees College; this is dependent upon funds available.

      Childcare support can only be allocated once you have enrolled on a course for this academic year and you have received your timetable. Please note that priority will be given to returning students, then full-time students, and then if any funding remains, part-time students will be considered.

      To apply for Childcare support please get in touch with the Financial Support Team; click here for contact details. Please note, applications are not available online. 

      Students aged under 20 (at the start of the course) can get help with Childcare through the ‘Care to Learn’ scheme. Application forms are available from the Learner Support Service on 0300 303 8610. Students receiving Childcare support may be considered for additional further financial assistance from the Discretionary Support Fund.

      For more information regarding ‘Care to Learn’, please click here for further details.

      If you are looking for a nursery, the following iPhone app may prove useful. It is developed by 'madeyoulook' for the Pre-school learning alliance. Click here for more details.